UPDATE: Burning candle causes South Sioux City house fire - KTIV News 4 Sioux City IA: News, Weather and Sports

UPDATE: Burning candle causes South Sioux City house fire

Posted:

South Sioux City, Neb. (KTIV) - A candle sparked a fire that destroyed a home in South Sioux City, Nebraska Monday afternoon.

Fire crews arrived to find a lot of smoke and flames coming for the house at 415 West 17th Street.

It took volunteer crews from South Sioux and Dakota City about an hour and a half put it out.

A young woman inside says she spotted the fire just as her mother and grandmother were leaving.

Michelle Axdahl says, "I saw the reflection of the flame through the TV, so I turned and it was all around the door and the front of the bedroom." "We lived here for twelve years. So now everything is gone. We don't have nothing."

The home is a total loss.

Investigators determined a candle, burning unattended in a front bedroom caught nearby items on fire and spread to the living room.

The family is getting help from the Red Cross with housing and clothing.

Powered by Frankly