Electrocution causes Nebraska man's death - KTIV News 4 Sioux City IA: News, Weather and Sports

Electrocution causes Nebraska man's death


NEAR COLERIDGE, Neb. (KTIV) -- Authorities say a 28-year-old man has died after being electrocuted while working on a farm in northeast Nebraska.

Today, we have new details on exactly what happened to the employee of North Star Farms, which is located outside Coleridge, Nebraska.

The Cedar County Sheriff's Department was hesitant to release information yesterday, but now that has changed.

They say 28-year-old Nicholas Waterbury and another man were working in this pit at a feed mill around 2:45 P.M. Thursday. Officials say they were trying to get an electric pump to work properly.

That's when they say Waterbury was electrocuted, possibly by the pump. The Sheriff's department says a 911 call was made and shortly after Waterbury was flown to Faith Regional Hospital in Norfolk, Nebraska, where he was pronounced dead.

"They were having some issues with the pump, they thought they had the issues fixed and that's when Waterbury was electrocuted," says Cedar County Sheriff Larry Koranda.

An autopsy confirmed electrocution as the official cause of death.

The Nebraska State Electrical Inspectors are still examining the scene of the incident.

This is the sixth electrocution death in the state since last August, two of which took place in Cedar County. The Sheriff's department says the other happened only 10 days ago.

"A thirty year old individual from Laurel was working on a irrigation system and had some issues with the irrigation system and was electrocuted then also," says Sheriff Koranda.

The Sheriff's Department says the name of that individual is Scott Haselhorst, of Laurel.

And for now officials are continuing to investigate the Waterbury case.

Online Reporter: Forrest Saunders

Powered by Frankly