Mother who lost son to E.coli supports BPI's safety efforts - KTIV News 4 Sioux City IA: News, Weather and Sports

Mother who lost son to E.coli supports BPI's safety efforts

Posted:

One person who spoke at Thursday's press conference isn't the leader of a state or federal agency. She's a mom with a life changing story.

Nancy Donley's six-year-old son Alex died in 1993 after eating ground beef contaminated with E.coli.

Since then, she's made it her mission to inform the public about the danger, in hopes of stopping food borne illnesses.

Donley said she's skeptical and cynical about meat companies, but found herself impressed with BPI's safety efforts.

"There are very good companies out there. There's some not so good companies out there. And we want to encourage those that take those responsible steps, who really go out and innovate, to make food safer," said Nancy Donley of STOP Foodborne Illness.

Donley says the American public will lose if companies stop coming up with ways to make the food we eat safer.

Powered by Frankly