Orange-Scented Quinoa Salad With Almonds, Cilantro and Cucumber - prepared by Sarah Nelson, RD, LD, Hamilton Hy-Vee Dietitian, Certified Health Coach
serves 4, 1 ½ cup portions
All you need:
• 1 ¼ cup orange juice, divided
• 1 cup water
• ½ teaspoon salt, divided
• 1 teaspoon ground coriander
• ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
• ¼ teaspoon black pepper, divided
• 1 cup uncooked quinoa
• ¼ cup sweetened dried cranberries
• ¼ cup sliced almonds
• 1 ½ cups chopped, cooked chicken breast
• 1 cup chopped cucumber
• 1/3 cup chopped red onion
• 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
• 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
• 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
• 1 ½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
All you do:
1. Combine 1 cup orange juice, water, ¼ teaspoon salt, coriander, cinnamon, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a saucepan, bring to a boil. Add quinoa, bring to a boil, cover, cook over medium heat 12 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Add cranberries. Cover, let stand 15 minutes; fluff with a fork. Transfer quinoa mixture to a large bowl.
2. Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add nuts; cook 3 minutes or until toasted, stir frequently. Add nuts, chicken, cucumber, onion & cilantro to quinoa; toss.
3. Combine remaining ¼ cup orange juice, ¼ teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, lime juice, and mustard, stirring with a whisk. Gradually add oil to juice mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. Drizzle juice mixture over quinoa mixture, tossing to coat.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KTIV Television Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Kathy Clayton at (712) 239-4100 x209. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at firstname.lastname@example.org.