PREVIOUS STORY: Waterloo shooting suspect in custody - KTIV News 4 Sioux City IA: News, Weather and Sports

PREVIOUS STORY: Waterloo shooting suspect in custody

Posted: Updated:

Waterloo Safety Services Director Dan Trelka says his officers have arrested the man they believe pulled the trigger in Wednesday night's double shooting at 704 Newell Street.

Waterloo officers arrested 33-year old Kevin Ambrose during a raid on a Waterloo apartment building Thursday afternoon.

The shooting left one woman dead and another wounded. The victims are mother and daughter.

Right now, Ambrose is being held only on a parole violation, as officers continue to gather evidence in the shooting. He'll be held on a no-bond parole violation charge for now. 

The shooting killed 59-year old Kay France Straw and wounded her daughter, 33-year old Marlene Lynn Buss.

Marlene Buss reportedly had been dating Ambrose until recently. Straw and Buss lived at that Newell Street address.

It's believed Ambrose had also lived there, until Wednesday afternoon at 5:30, when he was escorted from the residence by Black Hawk County Sheriff's Deputies, who served a no-contact order on Mr. Ambrose.

Thursday afternoon, Kevin Ambrose, who has a lengthy criminal record, was taken into custody, along with a woman, when officers raided the apartment.

Waterloo Police later released the woman and say she will not be charged with anything. 

The Wednesday night shooting occurred at 704 Newell Street around 7 p.m.

Several neighbors told KWWL they heard gunshots and then saw Marlene Buss on the ground. They said it appeared she had been shot in he back.

Buss' mother, Kay France Straw, 59, died from her injuries at Allen Memorial Hospital. Her daughter underwent surgery Thursday morning and is expected to recover.

Black Hawk County Sheriff Tony Thompson says his officers had served a no-contact order at 704 Newell St. around 3:30 p.m. Wednesday.

Thompson says his officers escorted the man, now identified as Kevin Ambrose, from the home and the man drove away from the location on his own.

Buss called KWWL just hours before she went into surgery at Allen Hospital. At that time, she would only say said she knew the shooter and a no-contact order had been served on him on Wednesday.

"He had told her a couple different times if she ever tried to leave him he would kill her," said Tammy Barnes, Buss's sister.

Barnes said Wednesday night Buss and her mother went with law enforcement to their home to get some belongings.

"She wanted the cops to wait and the cops told her they weren't babysitters," said Barnes.

 Barnes said law enforcement then left and they entered the home.

"He went to fire and misfired first time. The bullet got stuck and my sister ran out of the house. He chased after her and shot her five times and went back into the house and shot my mom three time," said Barnes.

Sheriff Thompson said his deputies did not accompany Buss and Straw to the home.

An autopsy on Kay Straw has been scheduled at the DCI Criminalist Laboratory in Ankeny.

Murder charges and attempted murder charges are expected to be filed soon against Kevin Ambrose. 

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KTIV Television Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Kathy Clayton at (712) 239-4100 x209. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at