Spicy Cheeseburger Sliders - prepared by Nancy Degner, Iowa Beef Industry Council
Total Recipe Time: 25 to 30 minutes
Makes 8 sliders
• 1 pound ground beef (96% lean)
• 9 small whole wheat hamburger buns, split, divided
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chili powder
• 2 slices pepper Jack cheese, cut in quarters
Barbecue sauce, lettuce, tomato slices, pickles (optional)
1. Tear one hamburger bun into pieces. Place in food processor or blender container. Cover; pulse on and off, to form fine crumbs.
2. Combine bread crumbs, beef, garlic and chili powder in medium bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Lightly shape into eight 1/2-inch thick mini patties.
3. Place patties on grill over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 8 to 9 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 9 to 10 minutes) until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into center registers 160°F, turning occasionally. Evenly top with cheese during last minute of grilling.
4. Place burgers on bottoms of remaining eight buns. Top with desired Toppings. Close sandwiches.
One-half teaspoon chili powder may be substituted for chipotle chili powder. Cook's Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
Nutrition information per serving: 201 calories; 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat; 0 g monounsaturated fat); 40 mg cholesterol; 266 mg sodium; 21 g carbohydrate; 3.1 g fiber; 16 g protein; 4.1 mg niacin; 0.2 mg vitamin B6; 1.1 mcg vitamin B12; 2.3 mg iron; 28.8 mcg selenium; 3.4 mg zinc; 50.8 mg choline.This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber, vitamin B6, vitamin B12 and iron.
© Cattlemen's Beef Board and National Cattlemen's Beef Association
For Beef Nutrition Information click here
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KTIV Television Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Kathy Clayton at (712) 239-4100 x209. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at firstname.lastname@example.org.