It packs more potassium than a banana. The fuzzy little fruit known as kiwi has a whole lot of other health benefits as well.
Kiwifruits aren't just a tangy treat, they're also packed with health benefits. Each serving (2 kiwifruits) provides 4 grams of fiber, 240% of the Daily Value of vitamin C, and a mere 90 calories. Two kiwifruits also have more potassium than a banana - a nutrient needed for blood pressure control, muscle contractions and fluid balance.
If you're still not sold on kiwifruits, consider this:
- The edible seeds provide a good source of vitamin E, a unique nutrient for a fruit.
- Kiwifruit is a natural meat tenderizer thanks to an enzyme called Actindin. Marinate meat in kiwifruit pulp for 10 to 15 minutes for best results.
- The skin is edible. Scrub and eat for 3x more fiber.
- The flavor is a tart mix of peaches, strawberries and pineapple, a palate pleasing combination.
How to select: choose kiwis with a rough, fuzzy skin that gives slightly to pressure.
How to store: store un-ripened kiwis in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for up to 6 weeks.
How to Cut Kiwifruit
1. Cut off both ends
2. Insert a tablespoon between the flesh and the skin and scoop around
3. Gently squeeze skin to remove flesh
1. Cut kiwifruit in half
2. Scoop out flesh and eat
How to Cut Kiwifruit for presentation
1. Cut diagonal slits about 1 inch apart around kiwi
2. Cutting slits the opposite direction, join all cuts to make a triangle pattern
If you have ideas or topics you'd like to see covered in this Centsable Health segment click here.
A little treasure in the debris of a home that once welcomed Rebecca Garland's four grandchildren gave her such a delight.More >>
A little treasure in the debris of a home that once welcomed Rebecca Garland's four grandchildren gave her such a delight as her friends and family scoured the mountain of rubble for any mementos left behind by Monday's powerful tornado.More >>
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Kathy Clayton at (712) 239-4100 x209. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at firstname.lastname@example.org.