Shepard's Pie - prepared by Nicholas R. Gunn, Executive Chef, McCarty & Bailey's Irish Pub, Pearl's Wine & Booze
Server 4 People
• 2 1/2# Ground Beef
• 6 oz Carrots, Small Diced
• 5 oz Peas, Frozen or Fresh
• 1 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
• 2 1/2 tsp Granulated Garlic
• 2 tsp Black Pepper, Coarse Ground
• 1 tsp Ground Thyme
• 1 tsp Dried Marjoram
• 2 tsp Cajun Seasoning, low salt
For the Mashed Potatoes:
• 3 ea Potatoes, Russets, Washed and Scrubbed
• 2/3 C Buttermilk
• 1/4 C Mayonnaise
• 1 tsp Kosher Salt
• 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper, Coarse Ground
• Melted Butter
Preheat Oven 350°F
1. Quarter the potatoes but do not peel. Place them in a pot of cold salty water. Place on stove and bring to a boil. Cook until potatoes are soft.
2. While the potatoes are cooking, brown the ground beef in a non-stick saute pan over medium-high heat. Once the meat is about brown about half way remove the dripping either by straining the meat or by spoon.
3. Then add in the the vegetables and seasonings. Toss the meat well to cover with the meat. Once finished set aside.
4. When the potatoes are finished strain them. Place them in the mixer with a the buttermilk, mayo, salt, and pepper. Turn mixer on medium speed until well blended, leave some lumps.
5. Place cooked beef in a 8X8 casserole dish, top off with the mashed potatoes. Pour the melted butter over the potatoes and place in the oven for 20 minutes.
6. Remove from heat and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KTIV Television Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Kathy Clayton at (712) 239-4100 x209. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at email@example.com.