UPDATE: Furnace failure linked to Le Mars, IA apartment fire - KTIV News 4 Sioux City IA: News, Weather and Sports

UPDATE: Furnace failure linked to Le Mars, IA apartment fire

Posted:
Fire crews fight an apartment fire at 335 Third Avenue Southeast. Fire crews fight an apartment fire at 335 Third Avenue Southeast.
LE MARS, Iowa (KTIV) -

Furnace failure sparked the fire that destroyed an apartment house in Le Mars, Iowa on Monday.

There were five apartments in the three story building at 335 3rd Avenue Southeast.

Investigators say the fire started in a faulty furnace in a third floor apartment and quickly spread to the attic and the second floor walls.

It burned for more than two hours before firefighters from three communities were able to get it under control.

Eight residents lived there.  One group of tenants were home at the time, but escaped unharmed.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KTIV Television Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Kathy Clayton at (712) 239-4100 x209. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.