Electrical fire leaves SC family without power - KTIV News 4 Sioux City IA: News, Weather and Sports

Electrical fire leaves SC family without power

Posted:
Five people were inside the house at 76 Ridgeview when the fire started around 8 p.m., but none were hurt. Five people were inside the house at 76 Ridgeview when the fire started around 8 p.m., but none were hurt.
SIOUX CITY, Iowa (KTIV) -

A Sioux City family was without power Tuesday night after a fire broke out in their home's basement.

Five people were inside when it happened around 8 p.m., but none were hurt.

According to a fire official at the scene, when the fire broke out residents inside smelled smoke and had some power surges. The home is located a few blocks away from a fire station, and crews responded within minutes.

Officials say the fire actually self -extinguished inside of the electrical panel where it started, before firefighters got to the scene.

"I think it's a typical electrical fire, you know, you don't get a lot of them in the panel but, it appears to be a short or a bad breaker in the panel that caused the electrical fire," Sioux City Fire Department Captain Dan Cougill said.

A city inspector will be looking into the cause of the fire. Officials say the home may be red tagged until the repairs are made.

In the mean time, the city fire department will try to find the residents housing.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KTIV Television Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Kathy Clayton at (712) 239-4100 x209. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.