NEW DETAILS: Unattended cooking blamed for Iowa City fire - KTIV News 4 Sioux City IA: News, Weather and Sports

NEW DETAILS: Unattended cooking blamed for Iowa City fire


The Iowa City Fire Department says unattended cooking is to blame for a fire that destroyed an Iowa City business and apartments late Tuesday night.

At least six fire engines responded to help put out the fire at the Dental Lab, located at 1515 Jackson Avenue at about 7:45 p.m.

Investigators say a pot of oil on the stove in one of the adjoining apartments caught fire.  The fire then spread to the ceiling.

Everyone got out of the building, and no injuries were reported.

The Dental Lab is a family owned business that makes dentures.

Crews stayed on scene well into Wednesday morning to monitor the situation. 

John Grier, Iowa City Fire Marshal, credits smoke alarms for allowing everyone to escape the fire.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KTIV Television Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Kathy Clayton at (712) 239-4100 x209. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at