Carbon monoxide a concern for those trying to keep warm on the i - KTIV News 4 Sioux City IA: News, Weather and Sports

Carbon monoxide a concern for those trying to keep warm on the ice

Posted:
SPIRIT LAKE, Iowa (KTIV/KUOO) -

Whether or not you're taking part in the Okoboji Winter Games this weekend, authorities have a word of warning about the cold.

They're reminding everyone of the danger of carbon monoxide.

It's a concern since many people will be using portable heaters to warm tents, ice houses and other temporary structures both on and off the ice.

The Arnolds Park-Okoboji Fire Chief urges anyone who's going to be doing that to make sure they have a carbon monoxide detector.

"If it's burning inefficiently that's usually when it starts to put off the most carbon monoxide and it will start to build up," said Fire Chief Chris Yungbluth. "Of course most of these tents and ice shacks and the things people use these heaters in, they don't think about putting a carbon monoxide detector in. It can be a cheap little piece of insurance that you can throw in there and know exactly where you're at, especially if it's getting to dangerous levels."

Yungbluth says so far this winter they haven't been called to any such incidents in the Iowa Great Lakes, and he hopes it stays that way.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KTIV Television Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Kathy Clayton at (712) 239-4100 x209. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.