UPDATE: Okoboji, IA apartment fire ruled accidental - KTIV News 4 Sioux City IA: News, Weather and Sports

UPDATE: Okoboji, IA apartment fire ruled accidental

Posted:
Photos courtesy Tarica Yungbluth Photos courtesy Tarica Yungbluth
Photos courtesy Tarica Yungbluth Photos courtesy Tarica Yungbluth

The Iowa Fire Marshal's office says the fire that damaged an eight-plex apartment building in Okoboji, Iowa Monday afternoon was accidental.  Fire officials say it started in a utility closet one of the apartment's at 1505 Country Club Drive. 

No injuries were reported from the fire that broke out just before 3:00 p.m. Monday, however, Fire Chief Chris Yungbluth says at least two residents in the building were alerted to the fire by working smoke detectors.

The apartment where they fire originated sustained heavy damage, while the other apartments sustained minor to moderate smoke damage.  Fire officials say preliminary damage estimates are in the $500,000 range.  The Siouxland Red Cross is helping the displaced families with food, shelter and support.

One cat died in the fire, and three others were rescued and resuscitated by the departments EMS staff using donated Pet O2 masks.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KTIV Television Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Kathy Clayton at (712) 239-4100 x209. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.