Boston one week later - KTIV News 4 Sioux City IA: News, Weather and Sports

Boston one week later


Authorities are preparing charges against the surviving suspect in the Boston Marathon terror attack.

The 19-year-old is in serious, but stable condition.

One week after two deadly bombs exploded in downtown Boston, killing three and injuring 183 people, the only surviving suspect remains in serious condition at Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital.

As federal prosecutors prepare to bring charges against him, law enforcement sources say Dzhokhar Tzarnaev is unable to talks after a gunshot wound to the neck.

Exactly when he suffered this injury is still unknown.

"This is a very complex investigation and it's hard to say exactly how he received that injury. There was certainly a shoot-out in Watertown. There were explosives thrown. That's being looked into right now. It is hard to say exactly how it occurred," Edward Davis, the Boston Police Commissioner said.

We're learning more about the tense moments right before Tzarnaev's arrest.

This aerial video shows infrared images of him hiding out on the boat in the backyard of a home in Watertown, according to a law enforcement source close to the investigation.

After 25 minutes of negotiations with FBI agents, Tzarnaev was apprehended as he was leaving the boat.

"There were three Boston police officers that initially Surrounded the boat. Other officers came and assisted and we held that position until the FBI hostage rescue team could come into place," Davis said.

In Boston's Copley Square crews are cleaning up the crime scene.

Police announced a five-phase plan to have the area opened soon.

Despite signs the city is slowly returning to business as usual, heartache remains for many.

Later Monday morning, 29-year-old Krystle Campbel, who was killed in the explosions, will be laid to rest in Bedford, Massachusetts.

A memorial is planned for the third victim, Lingzi Lu, on Boston's University campus Monday night.

Her parents who traveled from China will be in attendance.

Meantime, critically injured transit officer, Richard, Donohue remains hospitalized.

"This was a truly... severe meaning the officer's blood volume was almost entirely lost to the point of the heart stopping," Dr. Russell Nauta, the Chairman, Dept. of Surgery said.

Now doctors are saying they are cautiously optimistic about his recovery.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KTIV Television Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Kathy Clayton at (712) 239-4100 x209. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at