A smoke alarm wakes two people after a fire breaks out - KTIV News 4 Sioux City IA: News, Weather and Sports

A smoke alarm wakes two people after a fire breaks out in a their home in Sioux City

Posted:
SIOUX CITY, Iowa (KTIV) -

Sioux City Fire and Rescue's Mark Aesoph says at 2:46 a.m. Friday morning, fire crews were called to 2501 Jennings Street.

Upon arrival, firefighters reported smoke was visible from the home.

Corey and Genell Reinert, the home's occupants, had been alerted by their smoke alarm, left the home, and had dialed 911 to report the fire.

The fire was on the front porch of the home and it had spread to the crawl space and basement.

Fire crews put it out quickly and there is minor fire and smoke damage.

Aesoph says the cause of the fire was an improperly discarded cigarette, which had been put in a potted plant and ignited materials, spreading to the home.

No one was injured and he reminds residents to have working smoke alarms.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KTIV Television Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Kathy Clayton at (712) 239-4100 x209. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.