Tips on Washing Produce and Oven Roasted Kale Recipe - prepared by Renee Sweers, Nutrition and Health Program Specialist, Iowa State University Extension and Outreach
Oven Roasted Kale
• 1 bunch kale (about 4 cups)
• 1 Tablespoon olive oil (can substitute vegetable oil)
• Salt and Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375. (Can actually bake at any temperature from 350° - 425°F).
Spray baking sheet with no-stick baking spray or line with parchment paper or foil.
2. Start clean: Wash hands, wash sink, etc…
3. Thoroughly wash each kale leaf under room temperature running water. As each leaf is washed, separate leaf from thick stem. Discard stem or use in another way.
4. Tear each leaf into about 2 inch pieces.
5. Dry leaves. If you have a salad spinner give them a spin then pat dry with paper towel.
6. Place dried kale leaves on baking sheet. Sprinkle or spray oil on leaves.
7. Toss kale to evenly distribute the oil.
8. Arrange kale leaves evenly... (Don't over crowd but it is ok if leaves overlap or if they are layered 2-deep).
9. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
10. Bake 5 minutes. Turn kale over if desired (not essential) and continue baking 5 - 15 more minutes. Check for crispness. The higher the oven temperature the shorter the baking time. Bake until desired crispness. Kale will be crisp in about 10- 15minutes if baking at 425 and if not overcrowded. It will look slightly brown and crunchy.
11. Eat like a potato chip if baked crisp or like a cooked vegetable if baked to a softer ‘wilted' stage.
Options: 1. Sprinkle with garlic powder, popcorn seasoning or other seasoning salt instead of just salt and pepper before baking. 2. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese or other seasonings right after removing from oven. 3. Serve by placing on serving plate/bowl and sprinkle with small amount (1 – 2 teaspoons) of lemon juice, lime juice, balsamic vinegar or other flavored vinegar.
Tips on Washing Produce
Video on Washing Produce: http://www.youtube.com/user/uknowvideos
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2013 WorldNow and KTIV Television Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Kathy Clayton at (712) 239-4100 x209. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at email@example.com.