Wrangler's Beef Chili - prepared by Nancy Degner, Executive Director, Iowa Beef Industry Council
Total Recipe Time: 40 to 45 minutes
Makes 4 servings
• 1 pound Ground Beef (93% lean or leaner)
• 1/2 cup chopped onion
• 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
• 2 cans (8 ounces) no-salt added or regular tomato sauce
• 1 cup frozen corn
• 1 cup water
• 2 teaspoons chili powder
• 2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Hot cooked whole wheat macaroni (optional)
1. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add Ground Beef and onions; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking beef into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove drippings.
2. Stir in beans, tomato sauce, corn, water, spices and herbs. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve over whole wheat macaroni. Garnish with toppings, as desired.
Cincinnati-Style Beef Chili:
Stir in 1 teaspoon cinnamon with other seasonings in Step 2. Serve over hot cooked whole wheat spaghetti.
Moroccan-Style Beef Chili:
Substitute 1 cup frozen peas for corn. Stir in 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice with other seasonings in Step 2. Serve over hot cooked whole wheat couscous or brown rice.
• Baked potato halves can be substituted for whole wheat macaroni.
• Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed Ground Beef. Ground Beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of Ground Beef doneness.
Crushed baked tortilla chips, chopped green or regular onion, chopped tomato, chopped bell pepper, chopped fresh cilantro, reduced-fat shredded Cheddar cheese, nonfat Greek yogurt
Nutrition Information per Serving, Beef Mixture Only:
356 calories; 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat; 4 g monounsaturated fat);
76 mg cholesterol; 300 mg sodium; 35 g carbohydrate; 3.3 g fiber;
32 g protein; 8.3 mg niacin; 0.5 mg vitamin B6; 2.3 mcg vitamin B12;
5.3 mg iron; 18.7 mcg selenium; 6.7 mg zinc; 90.0 mg choline.
Nutrition Information per Serving, Using 1/2 Cup Cooked Whole Wheat Macaroni:
443 calories; 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat; 4 g monounsaturated fat);
76 mg cholesterol; 302 mg sodium; 53 g carbohydrate; 5.3 g fiber;
35 g protein; 9.6 mg niacin; 0.5 mg vitamin B6; 2.3 mcg vitamin B12;
6.0 mg iron; 36.8 mcg selenium; 7.3 mg zinc; 97.5 mg choline.
Funded by the Beef Checkoff
Wrangler's Beef chili – it is one of five new recipes we've created for school lunch and is really a chili makeover. All five are available at our website - www.iabeef.org – click on the As Seen on TV box.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KTIV Television Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Kathy Clayton at (712) 239-4100 x209. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at firstname.lastname@example.org.