French Onion Beef Au Jus - prepared by Nancy Degner, Executive Director, Iowa Beef Industry Council
Total preparation and cooking time: 3-1/4 to 4 hours
• 1 boneless beef roast, such as round rump, round tip, bottom round or brisket (3 to 4 pounds)
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 2 large sweet onions, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
• 2 cups water
• 1/2 cup reduced sodium or regular soy sauce
• 1 package (1-1/4 ounces) dry onion soup mix
• 1 large clove garlic, minced
• 8 to 10 French rolls, split, toasted
• 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1. Heat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Place beef roast in stockpot; brown evenly. Remove roast from stockpot.
2. Add onions to stockpot; cook 8 to 10 minutes or until tender and lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Add water, soy sauce, soup mix and garlic. Return roast to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer on range top or in preheated 325°F oven 2-1/2 to 3-1/4 hours or until roast is fork-tender.
3. Remove roast; keep cooking liquid warm. Carve roast across the grain into thin slices. Place rolls on metal baking sheet; top evenly with beef. Sprinkle cheese evenly over beef. Place sandwiches under broiler so surface of cheese is 3 to 4 inches from heat. Broil 1 to 3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
4. For open-faced sandwiches, spoon cooking liquid over top, as desired. For closed sandwiches, serve cooking liquid in small bowls for dipping.
Makes 8 to 10 servings.
Cook's Tip: One 2-1/2 to 4 pound boneless chuck shoulder pot roast may be substituted. Simmer 2 to 3 hours or until fork-tender.
Cook's Tip: After carving, beef slices can be returned to cooking liquid and kept warm over low heat until ready to serve, if desired.
Slow Cooker Variation: Omit vegetable oil. Place onions in 3-1/2 to 5-1/2-quart slow cooker. Top with beef roast. Combine water, soy sauce, soup mix and garlic; pour over roast. Cover and cook on HIGH 6 to 7 hours, or on LOW 10 to 11 hours, or until beef is fork-tender. (No stirring is necessary during cooking.) Proceed as directed in steps 3 and 4 above.
© Cattlemen's Beef Board and National Cattlemen's Beef Association
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KTIV Television Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Kathy Clayton at (712) 239-4100 x209. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at firstname.lastname@example.org.