Carbon monoxide hospitalizes six - KTIV News 4 Sioux City IA: News, Weather and Sports

Carbon monoxide hospitalizes six

Posted:

LAKESIDE, Iowa (KTIV) A family of six is hospitalized with carbon monoxide poisoning. Their furnace gets the blame.

The Storm Lake Fire Department was called to 112 Birch Street, a Lakeside home owned by Patricia Salazar of Lakeside, just before 4:30 Saturday morning.

The woman who called 911 said a person inside the home contacted her complaining that she could not get out of bed. When the woman arrived she called paramedics saying she couldn't wake some of the people inside the home and could smell gas.

Fire fighters found the family of two adults and four children in various stages of consciousness scattered throughout the home. All but one of the occupants had to be carried out. They were taken to the hospital to be treated for high levels of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Investigators determined the exhaust flue pipe for the gas furnace had become dislodged causing flue gas to be discharged directly into the home.

The Siouxland Chapter of the American Red Cross has provided the family with temporary housing.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KTIV Television Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Kathy Clayton at (712) 239-4100 x209. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.