Fire Department warns of dangers of space heaters and other alternative home heating sources
By Kristen Johnson, Multimedia Journalist/ Weekend Anchor - bio | email
SIOUX CITY, Iowa (KTIV) -
Propane prices are forcing many to look for alternative ways to heat their homes.
"If you leave the room, turn the space heater off, if you're going to bed at night, turn the space heater off. If there's a fireplace and you were burning wood, make sure the fireplace is out,” said Jesse Pedersen, a spokesperson for the Sioux City Fire Department.
The Fire Department also advises against using your stove or oven to heat your home.
And, make sure if you're using kerosene that it's properly ventilated.
Space heaters should be kept out of the bathroom and away from water sources.
And, make sure your fireplace is checked annually by a professional.
Thursday, July 24 2014 2:45 PM EDT2014-07-24 18:45:46 GMT
The father of two toddlers who died after a dresser fell on them was charged with involuntary manslaughter because he heard a crash coming from another room and didn't immediately check to see if his daughters...More >>
The father of two toddlers who died after a dresser fell on them is facing involuntary manslaughter charges because he heard a crash and didn't immediately check on his daughters, a prosecutor said Thursday.More >>
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Kathy Clayton at (712) 239-4100 x209. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at email@example.com.