UPDATE: Authorities identify cause of house fire on Orleans Ave. in Sioux City
Investigators say "improper disposal of smoking materials" are to blame for a fire that damaged a home the Morningside neighborhood.
It happened on Friday around noon, at a duplex, 4306 Orleans Avenue in Sioux City.
When crews arrived, smoke was coming from the back.
Firefighters say two families living inside were able to make it out safely before they arrived.
The home has been red-tagged and isn't safe to live in.
"There's two families in the structure, it's a duplex. And, one with a child, and one with just a man and a wife, and both of them need some assistance from the Red Cross," Sioux City Asst. Fire Chief Brad Robinson said.
After the fire was put out, crews had to stay to work on hot spots.
Authorities say a top cause of fires in the U.S. is smoking materials.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Previous Story: SIOUX CITY (KTIV) - Sioux City Fire and Rescue crews are checking for hot spots after a house fire broke out at 4306 Orleans Avenue in Morningside.
Fire officials ask people to avoid the area so they can fight the fire.
Woodbury County Sheriffs Deputies have blocked off part of Orleans Avenue near the house.
Officials said two families were living at the house.
They are safe and the Red Cross has been called to help them.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Kathy Clayton at (712) 239-4100 x209. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at firstname.lastname@example.org.