Sheriff: No working smoke detectors in Graettinger, IA home gutt - KTIV News 4 Sioux City IA: News, Weather and Sports

Sheriff: No working smoke detectors in Graettinger, IA home gutted in fatal fire

Posted:
GRAETTINGER, Iowa (KTIV) -

The morning of Monday, July 7th, seemed like every other morning on South Jackson Avenue in Graettinger, Iowa.

But, as a woman dropped her child off at the daycare next door to her sister's home, she noticed something wrong. Smoke was pouring out of the door of her sister, Stephanie Gaston's, home.

Gaston ran out of the burning home yelling for help. Stephanie's two little boys, 5-year-old Gavin Hasbrouck, and 7-year-old Collin Reed, were still inside. "The fire smoldered inside the home for quite some time," said Lynn Schultes, Palo Alto County Sheriff. "People had been driving by the house that morning. Unbeknownst to them, the fire was going on in the house. The house contained all that smoke."

After Stephanie ran out of the home the first time, witnesses say she and others on the street tried to get back in to save Gavin and Collin. The fire was too intense. "The smoke and the heat were so intense, nobody was able to enter the home until fire department personnel arrived," said Sheriff Schultes.

The firemen finally found the boys and began live-saving measures as they were transported to the Palo Alto County Hospital. Sadly, both Gavin and Collin were pronounced dead later that morning in Emmetsburg, Iowa. Gaston suffered serious injuries from her rescue attempts. "She is currently in the burn center in Iowa City," said Sheriff Schultes. "She advised that she has third-degree burns on her hands, on her back, and then some burns on her face as well."

Authorities have spoken to Gaston, and she hopes others can learn something from the tragedy. "Stephanie, and the grandmother as well, want to use this as an educational situation," Sheriff Schultes said. "They want people to look at their own homes, determine if they have smoke detectors or not." Authorities say Gaston's home was not equipped with working smoke detectors at the time of the fire.

There is a memorial fund that's been set up for Gavin and Collin. If you'd like to donate, Bank Plus in Graettinger is taking the donations for anything the family may need right now. You can send them your donations to the "Gavin and Collin Memorial Account," P.O. Box 549, Graettinger, Iowa, 51342.

 

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KTIV Television Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Kathy Clayton at (712) 239-4100 x209. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.