Fire Marshal: Electrical failure caused Newman Grove, NE house f - KTIV News 4 Sioux City IA: News, Weather and Sports

Fire Marshal: Electrical failure caused Newman Grove, NE house fire

Posted:
NEWMAN GROVE, NE (KTIV/US92) -

Electrical problems caused a rural Newman Grove residence to go up in flames Tuesday morning.

An investigation from the State Fire Marshal's office concluded the fire started due to an electrical short in the garage and moved towards the house.

Deputy State Fire Marshal Investigator Jeff Going says wind played a factor in spreading the fire, along with poor cell phone coverage.

Jeff Going, Deputy State Fire Marshal said, "The girls were home doing chores and they found the house on fire. They went outside to try and call the fire department. When they got done, they didn't have cell phone service so they couldn't get 911 called."

Going added a passerby was the one who made the initial fire call. Keri Drager and her four children lived at the residence along Highway 45 south of Newman Grove and were unharmed in the incident.

Keri's father Greg Radke has set up a donation drop off at the Fastnel store in Norfolk, and says the family is in need things such as clothes, schools supplies, and a new place to the live.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KTIV Television Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Kathy Clayton at (712) 239-4100 x209. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.