Computer causes fire at a Le Mars, IA business - KTIV News 4 Sioux City IA: News, Weather and Sports

Computer causes fire at a Le Mars, IA business

Posted:
LE MARS, Iowa (KTIV) -

Fire crews credit a working sprinkler system for keeping a fire contained at a Le Mars, Iowa business early Monday morning.

Fire and rescue crews from Le Mars and Orange City were called to Icon Ag and Turf around seven o'clock Monday morning. When they arrived, they noticed heavy smoke coming from an upstairs room in the shop. Inside, they found flames coming from a computer system.

"Appears to be an accidental fire, electrical equipment malfunction with this computer tower. Of course, these are all plastic and things like that so we had a lot of heavy black smoke, but not a lot of fire. The sprinkler did its job and slowed the fire down and the guys were able to finish putting it out with one hand line," said David Schipper, Le Mars Fire and Rescue Chief.

Schipper said if it wasn't for the sprinkler system, the fire could have spread to other parts of the building, but instead it was contained to the upstairs room.

Despite the minimal damage, Icon Ag and Turf, which sells farm and yard equipment, was open for business as usual Monday morning.

 

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KTIV Television Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Kathy Clayton at (712) 239-4100 x209. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.