Authorities release the name of the Schleswig, IA man involved i - KTIV News 4 Sioux City IA: News, Weather and Sports

COPY-Authorities release the name of the Schleswig, IA man involved in a standoff that ended in a gunfire exchange


The Crawford County Sheriff's Office is releasing more details about Wednesday night's standoff in Schleswig, Iowa, in which a man was shot after firing a gun at deputies.

Sheriff James Steinkuehler identifies the man as 45-year-old James Champion.
He remains hospitalized in Omaha after being shot twice in the torso.
The deputy who fired the shots is Lieutenant Corey Utech, an 11-year veteran of the sheriff's office.
Per standard procedure, Utech is on paid administrative leave during the investigation.
Champion is facing two felony counts of assault on a police officer with a dangerous weapon.


An exchange of gunfire ended an hours-long standoff in Schleswig, Iowa, late Wednesday night.

KTIV's cameras were on the scene as law enforcers negotiated with the man holed up inside the apartment.

Neighbors say the man lived in Schleswig for about a year, and seemed "harmless".

The standoff began with a call to Crawford County deputies to check on a man living in Apartment 18 at the Schleswig Manor Apartment Complex. Shortly after six o'clock Wednesday night a deputy approached a neighbor to ask if the man in question was home.

"So I went out and told them that he was home and I've been up ever since a day later. I'm going ahh. It was scary. It was a scary night because there were so many police and they were carrying guns," said neighbor, Carolyn Witter.

The Crawford County Sheriff says the man, who hasn't been identified, pointed a long gun at deputies and threatened to shoot them. They backed away, and evacuated other residents of apartment complex. Negotiations followed.

Shortly before midnight the sheriff says the man opened the door of his apartment, and fired one shot at officers. A deputy returned fire, hitting him.

The man was flown by helicopter to an Omaha hospital with injuries described as "non-life threatening."

Several neighbors say the man was suffering from mental illness.

"I work at the convenience store and I waited on him almost every day that I worked and very nice day. His dad just passed away and just super depressed...really depressed," said a neighbor.

Powered by Frankly