UPDATE: Unattended candle sparks fire inside South Sioux City, N - KTIV News 4 Sioux City IA: News, Weather and Sports

UPDATE: Unattended candle sparks fire inside South Sioux City, NE home

Posted:
SOUTH SIOUX CITY, NE (KTIV) -

An unattended candle gets the blame for a fire that did major damage to a home in South Sioux City, Nebraska, Thursday afternoon.

Fire Chief Clint Merithew says the candle was part of a religious shrine on the home's second floor. It ignited materials in the surrounding area of the home.

Crews responded to the fire at 710 D Street a little after 1:00pm, Thursday afternoon.

Officials say the one person inside at the time of the fire made it out safely.

The smaller home was filled with furniture, which made entry into the home, and running in hoses, difficult.

South Sioux City was assisted by Dakota City and Homer by keeping firefighters cool and hydrated. "We had mutual aid call-out after second alarm," said Chief Clint Merithew, South Sioux City, NE Fire Department. "Had Dakota City show up with equipment and personnel and Homer showed up as well with their ambulance to assist us with rehabilitation." "Mutual Aid Call-Out" allows for rehab for the firefighters working in extremely hot and smoke filled spaces.

Powered by Frankly