Alert posted on Sergeant Bluff-Luton Community Schools website
SERGEANT BLUFF, Iowa (KTIV) -
School should start, as planned, at the Sergeant Bluff- Luton Primary School Tuesday following Monday's gas leak that canceled classes.
Superintendent Rod Earleywine says cooks noticed an odor in the kitchen and MidAmerican was called to the school.
He says MidAmerican did investigate the odor and found a gas leak in the kitchen and a couple of small leaks in the boiler room.
MidAmerican did deem the area safe but turned everything off.
Earlywine says they notified parents to pick their children up as a precaution.
"We wanted to make sure that we were safe, our students and staff were safe so, we decided to dismiss school at one o'clock, alerted parents around 12:15 that if they wanted to come pick up their students, they could. The parents that couldn't pick up their students at this point in time we are going to have those students go to the 3-5 elementary," says SBL Superintendent Rod Earleywine.
Earleywine says the boilers were turned off as a result of the leaks.
He says the building could get cold very quickly as a result.
Earleywine says plumbers have been at the school working to fix the issue.
Sergeant Bluff-Luton Community Schools said Primary School officials are clearing the building after a gas leak is reported in the area Monday afternoon.
In an alert posted on the Sergeant Bluff-Luton Community Schools website, the school said the Primary School will dismiss at 1 p.m.
MidAmerican and Suter technicians are on site and have indicated there is no immediate danger.
The gas has been shut off and the boilers are off-line.
Parents can come to the Primary School and pick up their children on or before 1 p.m. or they can pick them up at the end of the day at the 3-5 Elementary School.
There will not be BASIC after school today.
KTIV's Ashly Richardson will have an update on News 4 starting LIVE at 5.