Nebraska authorities say fatal grain elevator shooting in Superior lasted about 20 seconds

Published: Nov. 10, 2021 at 3:30 PM CST|Updated: Nov. 10, 2021 at 4:39 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn


SUPERIOR, Neb. (KTIV) - Authorities have worked out the timeline of events for a fatal shooting at a grain elevator in Superior, Nebraska. They’ve determined, in total, the shooting lasted about 20 seconds.

Back on Oct. 21, 61-year-old Max Hoskinson shot three people, fatally injuring two of them before he was shot by a grain elevator employee.

Officials with the Nebraska State Patrol say that Hoskinson, of Superior, met with managers for Agrex Elevator, where they told him he was being fired from the company.

Later that day, those same managers had a meeting with other employees, during which Hoskinson returned to his office at the grain elevator. At the time, no announcement had been made from managers about Hoskinson’s termination from the company.

Hoskinson eventually left his office, approached the nearby office of 60-year-old Sandra Nelson, took out a handgun and fired two shots at her. One of the shots struck her in the chest, which authorities say was instantly fatal.

Hoskinson then reportedly went to another nearby office where the managers he met with earlier that day were having a meeting. Fifty-two-year-old Darin Koepke, of Hadar, Nebraska, barricaded the door but was injured by a shot that was fired through the door.

The gun Hoskinson was using then jammed, but he was able to get it working again and fired a second shot through the door. That shot hit another person but only caused minor injuries. Hoskinson then entered the room and shot Koepke again in the chest as he was lying on the floor.

After hearing the initial shots fired in the office, an employee grabbed a shotgun kept at the site for the use of pest control. By the time Hoskinson had entered the manager’s meeting, that employee shot Hoskinson, causing him to fall to the floor and drop the handgun. The employee then retrieved the handgun from the incapacitated Hoskinson.

When authorities arrived at the scene, they took Hoskinson and Koepke to hospitals. Both would later die from their injuries.

Authorities say they will not be releasing the name of the employee who shot Hoskinson, and do not expect him to face any charges for the incident.


SUPERIOR, Neb. 9 (KTIV) - The Nebraska State Patrol will host a news conference to release additional details regarding the workplace shooting that occurred in Superior, Nebraska on Oct. 21.

The news conference is scheduled to start at 3:30 p.m.

Back in October, A former employee for a grain elevator in Superior opened fire at the site. The victims killed in the shooting were 60-year-old Sandra Nelson, of Formoso, Kansas, and 53-year-old Darin Koepke, of Hadar, Nebraska.

The shooter was identified as 61-year-old Max Hoskinson, of Superior, who returned to the Agrex Elevator after being fired and shot the two victims and a third person who survived. Another employee retrieved a weapon and fatally shot Hoskinson.

Copyright 2021 KTIV. All rights reserved.