Advertisement

Firefighter warns of carbon monoxide poisoning with cold snap

A Dakota City Fire Department helmet is seen.
A Dakota City Fire Department helmet is seen.(KTIV)
Published: Dec. 31, 2021 at 6:03 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

SIOUX CITY (KTIV) - A local fire department wants you to know some simple steps can protect you and your home from accidents this time of year.

Dakota City Fire Chief Clint Rasmussen says carbon monoxide can build up in homes heated by natural gas, especially if the heat is running constantly during a winter storm.

Rasmussen calls carbon monoxide a “silent killer” because it’s odorless, and colorless. He recommends installing a carbon monoxide detector.

“So it’s one of those things that definitely needs to make sure everybody’s prepared and get to your detector and make sure you check it out to make sure it’s running,” he said.

Alongside carbon monoxide, pipes can freeze during the winter. To protect your home, leave a faucet on with a slight drip.

Despite the cold snap, firefighters still must respond to calls of service.

For Rasmussen, that means equipping his firefighters with extra gear... including layers to protect from the water they spray on the fire.

That water can freeze to any surface... including the firefighters, themselves. Rasmussen says it’s much harder to fight a fire in the bitter cold.

He says, “It’s very very difficult and dangerous. We’re using obviously water and that water hits the ground starts creating slick conditions you know for the firemen.”

Copyright 2021 KTIV. All rights reserved.