York man arrested for terroristic threats at hospital with AR-15-style rifle

Omaha Police say the suspect was found in the Children’s Hospital parking lot with a rifle
Omaha Police arrested a York man Monday for terroristic threats toward Children's Hospital.
Published: May. 2, 2023 at 11:10 AM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

OMAHA, Neb. (WOWT) - A man was arrested Monday at Children’s Hospital after allegedly threatening to harm himself and others with an AR-15-style rifle.

According to Omaha Police, 25-year-old Tyler Yates of York, Neb. was arrested Monday afternoon for terroristic threats.

Tyler Yates, 25
Tyler Yates, 25(Omaha Police Department)

The incident began around 4:21 p.m. Monday when Yates allegedly started to continuously text and call his wife. Some of the texts included statements of “I’m killing my self,” “Or maybe i need to bring gun there and get shot” and “K bringing gun to get shot.”

Police say Yates also texted his wife a picture of a rifle in the front passenger seat of his car, as well as other pictures of the road he was on and said he was coming to her location and stated he was ready to die.

Later at 5:23 p.m., Yates’ wife called the police and said Yates was on his way to Children’s Hospital with a rifle. She allegedly told police she was in fear of her life and said Yates owns guns. According to court documents, that’s when Children’s Hospital security then put the facility on lockdown due to the threats.

Police then found Yates in his car at the Children’s Hospital emergency room parking bay and took him into custody without incident. Yates allegedly told police he was feeling suicidal and gave police permission to search his car, where they allegedly found a Smith & Wesson M&P 15, a semi-automatic rifle, in the trunk.

The man was arrested in the Children's Hospital parking lot after threatening to hurt himself and others.

Court documents show Yates also threatened to burn down his wife’s home in West Point.

He was in court Wednesday, formally charged with one count of terroristic threats. His bond was set at $500,000.

Yates is due back in court in June.

Managing Editor Kevin Westhues contributed to this report.